Friday, November 11, 2011

Writing Tips: Plot

I'm going to be giving out writing tips, because it isn't always as easy as it sounds! I'll be doing these once a week, if you want to:)
An amazing story starts with plot. If the plot is boring, not many people will enjoy it. However, if the plot is exciting, most people will enjoy it completely. Take Harry Potter as an example. If Harry Potter was just a boy, doing his chores, doing homework, and talking, it wouldn't be as popular, would it? But since he's a wizard, and goes up against Voldemort, the book series is very popular. Mainly, the plot doesn't have to be nearly as exciting as going up against evil. Sometimes, it can be very simple. Compare these two passages. Which is more entertaining?
I walked up the street to see my friend Robert. He was doing homework and couldn't talk, but he did it politely. I walked to my house.


I walked up the street to see my friend Robert. My backpack was wide open. My mistake. I had a toy mouse for my cat. I guess a hawk must've mistaken it for a real mouse, because he swooped down and grabbed it, taking my homework with it. I tried chasing it, but it was too fast. I was in trouble.


Also, in your plot, if you have two ideas in your mind, but only one works, go with the one you think reader's will like best. If you think they are equally good, choose the one you think may make more sense or will take the story in a better direction.

Sorry if this sounds as if I'm criticizing you! I'm not trying to, just trying to give you some tips.
 

4 comments:

  1. @Biggoldfish11
    For your main plot, always go with the best one;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D
    That is true. You have to hook the reader or else the will say:
    Boring story.

    Better paragraph:
    The still night air was silent. The tiny elf owl stood under the tree like a statue. If you looked close enough, you could see it wasn't normal. It was a golden owl.

    ReplyDelete

Stay on-topic to the chapter or post. Rules:
1. No spam.
2. No swearing.
3. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!